Charitable Deduction Central
ACR was established to promote the rights of donors and private foundations to choose how and where to spend their charitable assets and to defend against any initiative that seeks to use the legislative or political process to weaken that right to choose.
Towards that end, we will oppose any legislative proposals that inhibit or diminish private charitable giving, which includes speaking up for a strong charitable giving incentive during tax reform debates. To learn more about ACR’s guiding principles for tax reform, please click here.
To take action now on the charitable deduction click here [link to Take Action].
- ACR Activity [link]
- Charitable Giving Coalition [link]
Recent proposals to eliminate or alter the charitable deduction:
- House Ways and Means Chairman Dave Camp’s (R-MI) “Tax Reform Act of 2014” includes a 2% floor on the charitable deduction.
- President Obama has proposed limiting the charitable deduction for high-income earners in several proposals over the past few years including his FY 2014 budget [link].
» For more proposals click here: Charitable Deduction—Proposals
Recent studies, reports and polling information on the impact of changes to the charitable deduction from a variety of sources.
- Tax Policy Center from the Urban Institute and Brookings Institution: Description and Analysis of the Camp Tax Reform Plan (2014)
- American Enterprise Institute: The Great Recession, Tax Policy, and the Future of Charity in America (2013)
- Tax Foundation: Economics of the Blank Slate: Case Study #11 Deduction for Charitable Contributions, (2013)
- United Way Worldwide: Americans Agree: Charitable Tax Deduction Vital to Nonprofits, Communities, and Donors, (2012)
- Urban Institute: Tax Policy and Charities: Evaluating the Charitable Deduction and Proposed Reforms, by Roger Colinvaux, Brian Galle, and Eugene Steuerle (2012)
- Dunham+Company: Three-fourths of Americans Favor Charitable Tax Deduction (2012)
» For more background click here: Charitable Deduction—Research
Recent opinion and thought pieces by experts, scholars, and leaders in (and outside) the nonprofit sector on the charitable deduction.
- 06/17 Making A Difference: The World of Giving – US Charitable Giving Increases for the Fourth Year in a Row! HuffPost Impact
- 06/07 Congress Versus Hobbit New York Times
- 04/28 Camp Proposal to Create Seismic Negatives for Charities Wealth Management
- 04/28 Camp Proposal and Charitable Giving Wealth Management
- 04/16 Lesson For April 15: Why Government Can’t Replace Charity ACR
- 04/03 The Charter School Performance Breakout ACR
- 04/02 What do the Washington Monument and the charitable deduction have in common? ACR
- 03/30 Obama’s taxing proposal on giving The Christian Science Monitor
» For more opinions and thought click here: Charitable Deduction—What Others are Saying
Following are additional resources on charitable giving.
- Infographic: Charitable Giving in America (compiled by the Charitable Giving Coalition)
- State Giving Profiles (compiled by Independent Sector)
- Giving by the Numbers
Interested in getting involved with efforts to protect the charitable deduction? Contact Sara Barba (email@example.com) for more information.